[pmmail-list] text/plain email

Richard Grevers pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 09:14:57 +1200

On Fri, 09 Aug 2002 12:15:12 -0500 (CDT)
"Duncan Way" <dway@satx.rr.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Aug 2002 09:56:02 -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:
>
> But, as Rod pointed out, "stripping" is not the right answer, either.
>  What
> it should do is display them literally, without interpretation.
>
> What if you had asked me how to create a simple web page, and I sent
> you this reply:
>
>   {html}
>     {body}
>       {h1}This is a header tag.{/h1}
>     {/body}
>   {/html}
>
> If you were using PMMail today, you could not read this.  Note that I
> have used curly brackets in place of angle brackets specifically
> because of this problem.
>
> Indeed, in a mail I posted yesterday, I made the statement "That's
> not prohibited, and neither is interpreting embedded {html} tags",
> but what comes through in PMMail's display is "That's not prohibited,
> and neither is interpreting embedded  tags".
>

> How about sending your html code as an attachment?

Why should I expect the users of the 30-odd mail clients which treat
this issue correctly to use a clumsy workaround to cope with the
shortcomings of one mail client which, lets face it, has a market
penetration well under 1% (largely because of its relatively high cost
in the face of competition such as Pegasus Mail or Eudora adware).
Not to mention that attachments are banned on the list and
automatically removed by the listserv.