[pmmail-list] text/plain email

Richard Grevers pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 10:51:54 +1200

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002 19:22:31 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Aug 2002 09:56:02 -0700 "Tim Roberts" <timr@probo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > But, as Rod pointed out, "stripping" is not the right answer,
> either.
>
> Right answer for whom? I don't participate in mailing lists where I
> am exchanging html source code with people, therefore AFAIAC I don't
> ever want to see this stuff.

> > What it should do is display them literally, without
> interpretation.
>
> If that's what you need it to do.
>
> Very difficult problem isn't it?

Not in the least difficult. What I think that you guys are forgetting is
that the vast majority of email containing HTML tags - where they are
indended for formatting - is sent as text/html or multipart/alternative.
The change we want is not going to affect these at all. Nearly all mail
clients capable of sending html allow the sender to select sending as
html or sending as text/plain, according to their needs.

The only potential problem area is mail with NO content-type header.
AFAIK this is very rare. But it would be easy to provide an option in
PMMail to set the default handling of these.