[pmmail-list] Digest (08/10/2002 09:01) (#2002-295)

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:51:48 +1000

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:06:21 +0200, Paul D.J. de Vos wrote:

>In the 2581 beta, a new feature has been implemented: if you page down through
>the message and reach the end of the file, the next page down opens the next
>message automatically.
>
>This is a nice idea, only in the current implementation it opens the message
>below the current one in the list. But I have my messages sorted most recent
>first (so I don't have to scroll down to the bottom every time). The result is
>that the new feature causes old messages to be opened instead of new ones.
>
>If this feature is going to stay in PMMail, I move that a check be performed on
>the current list sorting order and the file wrap be adjusted accordingly.

Well Paul, you have just put the problem that really exists in a
different way.

I guess that the reason you sort the inbox that way is so that the new
messages at least appear somewhere in your view. That is why I do it
that way too.

We can choose between having to page down forever if we keep a bunch in
the inbox or get 50 to 70 overnight. It is either that or reverse the
sort and then scroll down until we find what looks like the earliest of
the new messages and work up from there.

Of course using the preview pane and hiting delete does not work when
newest messages are at the top.

In fact neither view is ideal.

The best one would be to have the cursor sit on the earliest unread
message and for preview delets to cause the cursor to move to the next
"most senior" unread message.

Messages sent by turkeys with their clocks out by years (yes it has
happened!) should appear alongside the ones that arrived with good
timestamps. No, I don't wish to sort them all by arrival time because
that doesn't always maintain thread context either. Sometimes I see
replies arriving before the initial message in a thread.

Not always easy to get it right but no mailer I have used gets even
close. Just the standard listbox sort ascending or descending that
doesn't work.

Oh and even more important is to make sure that when the program is
restored from a minimised state that one of the panes DOES have focus
instead of the blurred crap it does now.
i.e. When I minimise PMm with the inbox selected and then restore it
the inbox is now shaded grey rather than selected (blue) and no amount
of tabbing gets focus. Sucks big time. I hate changing from keyboard
mode to mouse mode for just one function.

In the beginning was The Word
and The Word was Content-type: text/plain
The Word of Rod.