[pmmail-list] text/plain email

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 08:10:52 +1000

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:12:18 -0500, Wendell Brown wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 10:57:28 +0100 (BST), Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
>
>>No, it is extremely simple. text/plain means you do not do *anything*
>>whatsoever to the text. You don't strip it or render it or anything
>>else. It just gets displayed as is.
>>If somebody sends you a text/plain message with html tags in, then it
>>is your problem if you don't want to see them, not PMMails'.
>
>Guys, we are each looking at things the way WE want to see them.  This
>is a more complicated issue than just "it doesn't do it the way I want
>it too".  There are at several distinct groups of PM-Mail users out
>there that want it THEIR way too....
>
>What it comes down to is there are at least 3 possibilities for HTML to
>be in in the text/plain segment (or in body of a message WITHOUT mime
>encoding):
>
>1) No HTML in the body - true text/plain.

This is not a case of HTML in a text/plain body.
Ergo it does not need discussion or "handling"

>2) HTML information ERRONEOUSLY embedded by a nonstandard e-mail
>package (I get several like this from a couple of folks and many that
>are spam).

So don't render it. Display it as text, tags and all.
As you said it is mostly spam and if it is erroneous and comes from
friends maybe you can tell them what a crap MUA they have.

>3) Intentional HTML information embedded in the page (ie, a web page
>snippet in the middle of a message).

Handle as text/plain as the segment demands.

Everything else below here in the message to which I am replying is a
request for bloat.
I can see that there is a need for some people to view HTML mail as it
would render in a browser and that others would like unrendered,
tag-stripped text.
One switch should do that.
KISS.

In the beginning was The Word
and The Word was Content-type: text/plain
The Word of Rod.