[pmmail-list] text/plain email - neat-ish solution?

Simon Bowring pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:36:30 +0100 (BST)

Wendell,

I think you may be onto something, but have incompletely spec'ed
the solution ;-) My varient would be:

In a text/plain section:
- Any HTML tags would be shown (standards compliant) UNLESS
  a "HTML-guessing" option/button is selected/pressed (button
  greyed if no HTML tags found)

In a text/html section
- HTML should be rendered or stripped as a user option. Both behaviours
  are standrads compliant. HTML-guessing button could toggle the two
  modes.

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:12:18 -0500, Wendell Brown wrote:

>1) View embedded HTML as TEXT (same as alt-v, except showing JUST the
>text/plain segment - not the headers).
i.e Correct Standards Compliant Behaviour if in text/plain section,
    and also "legal" in text/html (stripping tags).

>2) View embedded HTML as HTML (current default behavior).
i.e. Incorrect Guessing games (unless in a text/html section)!
     In a text/plain section, the HTML-option could set the
     default, and the HTML-Guessing button could cycle rendering
     modes.

>3) Remove embedded HTML (which I think the OS/2 version does).
i.e. Either Correct (legal) in a text/html section, or incorrect
     guessing games in text/plain!

I wouldn't strongly object to such a feature, certainly some
improvement is required, however personally I'd always want
standards compliant behaviour by default (no HTML in sight
unless in a text/html section and even then I'd like the
strip tags option as under OS/2). So I'd suggest user
options for the defaults and a button to (cycle through)
different HTML guessing/rendering strategies!

>It would be wonderful if this could be a account level default

As a default maybe, but it really needs to be configurable against
each address book entry since it's the originating (remote) mail
client that this feature needs to be set against!!!

[Similarly address book entries *could* be configured to
default to text/plain (default) or text/html when
*originating* messages -  but *I'd* prefer it was not possible
to originate HTML emails ;-))

Would these features make the anti-HTMLers (like me) and the
pro-HTMLers nearer to being happy?

Simon