[pmmail-list] text/plain email - neat-ish solution?

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:52:53 -0700

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 17:29:48 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:36:30 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:
>
>>I think you may be onto something, but have incompletely spec'ed
>>the solution
>
>So did I of course! I forgot all about what to do when there are
>multiple *alternate* parts (rather than multiple unrelated parts).

Ah, but the feature they just implemented solves this problem: it lets you
choose whether you want to see the text/plain part or the text/html part in a
multipart/alternative message.

In my Fictional Ideal Mail Reader, the reader displays a small window with a
tree showing the MIME part structure, and lets me choose which ones to view.

>Of couse HTML mail is a mess as some readers may be discovering
>if they're following this thread; that's why it shouldn't be!

There's a difference between MIME mail and HTML mail.  MIME mail is
complicated, but unlike HTML mail, it is well-speced.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.