[pmmail-list] text/plain email - neat-ish solution?

Simon Bowring pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:43:00 +0100 (BST)

Hi Tim,

>Ah, but the feature they just implemented solves this problem: it lets you
>choose whether you want to see the text/plain part or the text/html part in a
>multipart/alternative message.
Ok.

>In my Fictional Ideal Mail Reader, the reader displays a small window with a
>tree showing the MIME part structure, and lets me choose which ones to view.
A good idea - and I agree that such a function would be "good", but
I also think it's very sad that such an option is "neccessary" in your
*IDEAL* mail reader; in my ideal mail reader no such kludge (suited most to
the technically competant) would be required!

In my ideal email client, my (technically incompetant) mother
would be able to use email just as well as you or I; Just like
she can use the 'phone! If HTML email had not been foisted onto
us (before *any* relevent standards were "agreed") by technically
incopenetant "form-over-function" advocates at NS and MS, then
we would be much nearer that goal.

So HTML emails have been a highly significant step *backwards* in
interoperability and a massive security risk, but hey, they look
pretty (for some!) so who cares!

>There's a difference between MIME mail and HTML mail.  MIME mail is
>complicated, but unlike HTML mail, it is well-speced.
It's better spec'ed, but nothing resembling "well"!!!

The RFCs *ONLY* (that's ONLY!) cover how the multiple parts of an
arbitrary HTML page-set/doc should be packaged in an email message, but
since so much of HTML relates to behaviour, and these RFCs do not define
even simple basic HTML behaviour such as external hyperlinking, there
will continue to be problems and arguments and highly costly viruses
for YEARS!

The RFCs *allow* HTML emails with all the mark-up features etc plus
all the "behavioural" features from simple "internal" hyperlinking
inbetween a doc set (which is the SINGLE piece of HTML "behaviour"
pertinant to the special needs of an email client that has actually
been addressed).

Nothing prevents me sending an HTML email that exploits remote
server-side cgi and server/clinet Java (all/any versions), JavaScript,
forms, HTML 1.0 - 4.1, DHTML, XML etc etc all to be sent.  No
"sub-sets" have been defined, no information on how to gracefully
degrade these feature (except as a plain text alternate part).
No information on how to make this complex mess secure is provided,
no information and what to do when no HTTP is available (why should
an email client be a fully fledged web-browser AND have to be an
email client as well?!)

So, anyway - it's a mess! And your MIME part structure idea is yet
another clue to this undeniable fact!

Simon