[pmmail-list] Beta progress

Steve Barber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 01:04:33 -0400

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 23:47:12 -0400, Steve Barber wrote:

>You may be able to test this yourself ... just run a memory monitor
>tool ( you don't need a fancy expensive one ... a free one like
>sysmon.exe can do the job).  Set it up to monitor allocated memory
>1/sec or so ... if the allocated memory simply creeps up over time
>while pmmail is active but doesn't when pmmail isn't active ... then
>you can suspect pmmail.

I just took my own advice, and tried a few high active things while
watching allocated memory ....

Simple stuff like emptying a big Trash folder, deleting all messages
in a big Spam folder, or repeatedly sorting on various columns did
not show any significant signs of memory leaks.

BUT!!! I did find what appears to be a very big leak in the search
messages for some string function ... Ok, I've got a lot of messages
in my mail folders .. (and I'm running 2.20.2475 Standard) ... but
the allocated memory at the start of the search (for the word
"catalog" in the body of all mails in my folders) was 390 mb ... the
search rapidly added 50 mb for a togal of 440 mb before I "Stopped"
it.  PMMail didn't give back the memory after the stop ... and
Windows didn't get it back even after closing PMMail.  That looks
like a major memory leak to me.

There are a couple of other symptoms that might help you solve this

It doesn't seem to occur with each message searched or each message
found ... doesn't seem  occcur on folders even with a 1000 or so
messages in them ... only occurs when searching on my whole account
... and even then the memory jumps are big ... but infrequent ... I
couldn't pin them to any particular event (maybe on transition from
one folder to the next during the search, but I couldn't prove that)
... it would find several hits over a long period of time with no
appreciable allocation jump .. then all of a sudden, it would jump 15
to 25 meg ... never giving it back ... then no increase for a long
time ...until another 15-25 meg jump.

Don't know if the newer betas have the same problem so someone might
want to try that.

Wouldn't take too many searches to get Windows to an unusable mess,
since much above a 3:1 virtual to real ratio pretty much will kill
Windows.

Note that FreeRam XP Pro reclaimed all the lost memory, so I didn't
have to reboot.

SteveB
Steve Barber
104 Sylvan Grove