[pmmail-list] HTML and other parts (was: when is the new beta coming?)

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:16:30 +0200 (MES)

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 17:33:32 -0400, PMMail 2000 Support wrote:

> if a
> message is declared as text/plain, then PMMail will no longer attempt
> to process the html. It is a start in the right direction, we hope you
> agree.

   Yes, I do agree. But nevertheless, there should be an option to see that
message part with the HTML decoded. The easiest way would be like in the OS/2
version, i.e. HTML tags stripped, and in a web browser on demand. Better the
rendering done like now in PMMail/2000 (i.e. Win).

   The problem with the viewing in a web browser, is the web bugs included in
many of the HTML spam, where an image of 1x1 pixels is referenced, and with
this reference goes an identifier of the recipient, so that the sender can
control if, when, and from which IP and domain the message is being read.

   For HTML rendering by PMMail, I would suggest two options, which I had seen
in another email client:
   [ ] follow external links
   [ ] load external images

   which should be, IMHO, off as a default.

   It should probably even include a [ ] use external style sheets

   Make it a new page, e.g. "Viewing" of the configuration notebook.

   There might also be some preferences for view the "Content-type:
multipart/ALTERNATIVE", where we user might record our preference of seeing
the text/plain part ot the text/html alternate. multipart/alternative also
concerns alternate parts in different languages. You should have a look into
the relevant IETF and IANA documents. E.g.
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/index.html on media types, and
http://www.iana.org/numbers.html in general.

   PMMail still has the original view of email as being a text with
attachments, which is reflected in the "Attachments |  attachment type" menu
option in the message compose view, where UUENCODE, BINHEX, and MIME are
listed as forms of an ATTACHMENT.

   But the MIME view of the message body is rather that of a sequence of
message parts, which might also be alternate (multipart/alternate) or related
(multipart/related).

    To this does not correspond the standard PMMail view on a message, with a
big body text window and a small window where all the attachments are listed
by symbols.

   The correct MIME way is rather a tree view which reflects the sequence,
nesting and relationships of the body parts. So, in message composition, the
question in the "attachment types" question should be broken up in a first
question of (crudely formulated): MIME message with possibly several parts, or
traditional message with attachements in UUENCODE or BINHEX form, and then
asking the encoding separately for each attachment. The first question should
be a general preference in the "message composition" options page of the
general configuration with the possibility of overriding this preference for
an individual message.

   PMMail should also make it possible to correctly specify the MIME media
type for each part; I'm really annoyed that every simple text file is BASE64
encoded, although it could really be text/plain.

   I also want the possibility of creating a message part from the clip board
instead of from a file.

   So far for today.

Yours,
Lüko Willms