[pmmail-list] Spell check hotkeys

Martin Moran pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 09:27:10 -0600

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:16:42 +1200, Richard Grevers wrote:

>>Call it what you will, but that "abomination" shows up in Google about
>>199,000 times. "spelling checker" about 67,600 times. This is English,
>>so like it or not, usage wins. We also eat "ice cream" instead of "iced
>>cream". Neither logic nor magic have anything to do with it.
>
>But the death of the gerund in forming compound nouns seems to be a
>spreading malaise. Every time I hear a sports commentator say "swim
>team" (or even worse: "swim meet") I want to throw a brick at the
>television!

Richard, I must agree with you.  The difficulty with using Google as a
usage checker (use checker for the Americans) is that the internet
still is PRIMARILY American-biased, and much of the major software is
still produced in the U.S.  (If you doubt that the internet is
U.S.-biased, why only now is there the launch of a ".us"?  Being
advertised as "show your national pride... get a .us domain!", Uncle
Sam wants you to change to a .us domain, & etc.)

The advantage the rest of the english-speaking (mostly Commonwealth
countries, actually) world has is that they will always win at
Scrabble.  Folks from these countries know that 'u' forms a valuable
part of:

colour
honour
valour
& etc.

As I recall, it's only one point, but that's one point per word.

Have a great day.
--
Martin Moran                 ommoran@telusplanet.net
Edmonton, Alberta            e-mail for my PGP key

"When you're caffeinated, all is right with the world"