[pmmail-list] Spell check hotkeys

John Swartzentruber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:27:53 -0400

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:16:42 +1200, Richard Grevers wrote:

>But the death of the gerund in forming compound nouns seems to be a
>spreading malaise. Every time I hear a sports commentator say "swim
>team" (or even worse: "swim meet") I want to throw a brick at the
>television!

Then indeed, you had best stay away from the US and our TVs.  If you
spoke of a "swimming meet" people would probably either look at your
funny or think you were quaint. Google (granted a rather arbitrary
measure of the language) indicates "swim meet" occurs 7.4 times more
often than "swimming meet". "Swim team" occurs only 4 times more often
than "swimming team".