[pmmail-list] Spell check hotkeys

Richard Grevers pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:16:42 +1200

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:01:56 -0400, John Swartzentruber wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:50:51 +1200, Richard Grevers wrote:
>
>>The only
>>workaround in PMMail is to stop checking, cancel sending, fix the error
>>and repeat the entire check. If it happens to be the last error in the
>>message there isn't even the chance to do that. An Undo/back-up button
>>could save a lot of wasted effort here.
>
>Boy, I would sure love this. I frequently run into the exact same
>situation you do. On the other hand, I'd love it even more if the spell
>checker just worked properly and made reasonable suggestions.
>
>>*P.S. a "spell checker" is either an Amaericanese abomination or something
>>that Harry Potter would have use for.
>
>Call it what you will, but that "abomination" shows up in Google about
>199,000 times. "spelling checker" about 67,600 times. This is English,
>so like it or not, usage wins. We also eat "ice cream" instead of "iced
>cream". Neither logic nor magic have anything to do with it.

But the death of the gerund in forming compound nouns seems to be a
spreading malaise. Every time I hear a sports commentator say "swim
team" (or even worse: "swim meet") I want to throw a brick at the
television!

--
This mail is a natural product.  The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.