[pmmail-list] PC Freezes when downloading mail

Barry Wilkinson pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 22:26:57 +0000

FYI:

Some weeks ago there was a thread about problems of PC's freezing during mail downloads from the ISP's server (sudden 100% CPU Usage).

Most people agreed that PMMail was not at fault, indeed I had the same problem whilst using Forte Agent. The general view was that it was caused by Norton AV. Norton proved to
be extremely unhelpful in this matter.

However, I removed NAV but it still occurred. The only common theme between the list posters seemed to be Windows 2000 SP3 and Zone Alarm 3.xx

I have just experienced the same problem. This time I shut down all current applications one at a time. Time consuming because it takes 2-3 mins to shut each one while there is
100 CPU Usage. As soon as I shut down Zone Alarm CPU Usage went back to normal. I assume therefore that the problem lies with Zone Alarm and may only occur on W2000
SP3 PC's?

Regards

Barry