[pmmail-list] Odin=Obsolete (was:PMMail and Odin)

Dr. Martin R. Hadam pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 20:37:04 +0100

On Fri, 08 Feb 2002 13:01:11 -0500 (EST), Ralph Cohen wrote:

>assuring that the new
>Windows versions work with Odin seems like it should be a priority for
>BSW. I have used several off-the-shelf Win32 programs under Odin and the
>results can be very good.  I know that there are some for whom the idea
>of running a Win32 program under Odin is heretical,  but for those of
>us who see OS/2 is a tool and not a religion we appreciate whatever
>works.

 I beg to disagree.

 From the day VPC will be publicly available at the very latest - which
is most likely in a month's time [remember CeBIT? that's the key date
in all likelihood] - ODIN should be considered OBSOLETE and continuing
work on it called a major waste of valuable resources within the os/2
community that badly need to become allocated to other, more useful
projects which are truly relevant to the continuing use of OS/2 in the
future.

 There is little if anything that you cannot do using VPC that is
doable with ODIN; actually almost everything you can do better. If
anyone claims that he'd require ODIN because he could not afford buying
VPC, continuing use of OS/2 (or eCS for that matter) isn't the right
choice in the first place, since virtually everything related to OS/2
(eCS) is about to become fee-based (and don't expect IBM to maintain
update [swc] prices - just get an idea from the latest DeveloperToolbox
price increase [+66%]).

 From a business user perspective, banking on VPC is a no-brainer
anyway.

 Martin