[pmmail-list] Odin=Obsolete (was:PMMail and Odin)

Gregory L. Marx pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 14:57:23 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 08 Feb 2002 20:37:04 +0100, Dr. Martin R. Hadam wrote:

<snip>

> I beg to disagree.
>
> From the day VPC will be publicly available at the very latest - which
>is most likely in a month's time [remember CeBIT? that's the key date
>in all likelihood] - ODIN should be considered OBSOLETE and continuing
>work on it called a major waste of valuable resources within the os/2
>community that badly need to become allocated to other, more useful
>projects which are truly relevant to the continuing use of OS/2 in the
>future.

I disagree as well ... with your analysis of the merits of VPC versus Odin ...
Now ... if the need is for running many of the bigger Windows applications, then I do agree ...
But for the occasional need of a single Win32 app IMO VPC is overkill ...

One example:  I use Adobe Distiller 5 under Odin for creating PDFs ... It loads fast and runs great ...
I can't imagine buying the hardware and RAM to support VPC for just running Distiller ... again IMO overkill ...

And I think there are alot of people like myself out there ... With a need to only run a few Windows apps ...
But be honest Dr. Hadam ... IIRC you never cared for Odin to begin with ... Or am I off-base ???

Greg