[pmmail-list] Missing URLs

Ralph Cohen pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 19:56:32 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 19:26:40 -0500, Kenn Yuill wrote:

>Hello Ralph,
>
>You are being too kind, as I would have added the comment that it is
>dumb coding, IMHO.
>I am sure that Peter could fix this problem in a wink of an eye, if he
>has the time.

Hi Kenn,

You're right, but we should keep in mind that we are not alone.<g>  I
only recently learned that the AOL mail reader has even worse problems
with urls and mailtos in text based emails.  As you know, PMMail does a
pretty good job of letting you highlight and then jump to plain text
urls or send mail to plain text email addresses.  The AOL reader,
however, requires that urls and email addresses be enclosed within HTML
tags - even in a plain text message - before they are 'clickable'.  For
instance, to make a url in a plain text 'clickable' for an AOL user, it
must be be written as <a href="http://www.abc.com">/a> instead of just
www.abc.com.  Same thing for email addresses.  To be 'clickable', they
just be written as <a href="mailto:Joe@abc.com"></a> instead of just
Joe@abc.com.  The alternative is to highlight, copy and paste the url
or address into the appropriate application.

I do agree, however, that enabling PMMail/2 to extract and display urls
embedded in HTML emails would great!  It would also be great if you
could RMB on the preview window and have one of the menu items be View
in your Browser instead of having to open the read message window and
click through the menus.

Ralph