[pmmail-list] Update from Peter Nielsen

PMMail OS/2 Support pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:21:41 -0400

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 06:37:23 -0500 (EST), Gregory L. Marx wrote:

>I wonder if Peter's efforts are being directed at the Win32 code only ???
>Or if he's re-writing everything including the OS/2 version ...
>
>I figure if he's redoing ALL the code then maybe the OS/2 version will achieve some semblance of parity with the Win32 version ...
>(I know, I know ... I'm dreaming ... But Peter's PMView is so GOOD I just have to think that PMMail/2 still stands a chance)

Sigh. Well, I was waiting for authorization to report what Peter has
now said on the PMView mailing list re: rewriting PMMail but now that
you know...

Peter is referring to rewriting the Windows code only. The fact is
PMMail/2 and PMMail for Windows are two separate programs, with
different code. To rewrite them both would take approximately twice
as long as rewriting one. For this reason, he is not rewriting them
side-by-side.

However, this does not necessarily mean that the OS/2 version is
"dead".

THIS IS NOT A PROMISE: but, Peter's eventual hope/goal, as stated to
me, is that he will finally have a "modern" C++ codebase for PMMail
that can be quickly = easily = inexpensively compiled/ported to OS/2.

--
Trevor Smith
PMMail/2 Technical Support