[pmmail-list] Update from Peter Nielsen

Frank Winkler - Sun Germany REOS - Munich pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:45:34 +0100 (MET)

 >Peter is referring to rewriting the Windows code only. The fact is
 >PMMail/2 and PMMail for Windows are two separate programs, with
 >different code. To rewrite them both would take approximately twice
 >as long as rewriting one. For this reason, he is not rewriting them
 >side-by-side.
 >
 >However, this does not necessarily mean that the OS/2 version is
 >"dead".

This sounds like 'not necessarily' means infact 'most probably' ...

 >THIS IS NOT A PROMISE: but, Peter's eventual hope/goal, as stated to
 >me, is that he will finally have a "modern" C++ codebase for PMMail
 >that can be quickly = easily = inexpensively compiled/ported to OS/2.

Have you ever compared the number of demanding OS/2 users on this list to
that of Win users? I've been using PMMail for more than five years now and
ever since it has been a native and well-developped OS/2 application.

I'm sure the big majority of the long-term PMMail/2 users would appreciate
future development and would even contribute with some money. BSW obviously
wants to change its focus to the Win market but doesn't have the strength to
admit. There are zillions of companies penetrating the world with Win
applications so that it might be doubted that they can promote to a new
pillar in the market but what about knowledgeable and experienced people in
a universe that might arise again with eCS ... ?

Regards

Frank Winkler                                 frank.winkler@germany.sun.com
Sun Microsystems - Remote Admin Center
Sonnenallee 1                                       Voice +49 89 46008.2755
85551 Heimstetten - Germany                           Fax +49 89 46008.2740