[pmmail-list] Address Book Manager/2

Lueko Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 23:26:17 +0100 (MEZ)

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:18:18 -0500 (EST), Gordon Snider wrote:

> I'm sorry.  I don't know anything about LDAP directories.
> I hope someone else can help us both.

  LDAP stands for "Lightweight Directory Access Protocol", was
intended to access X.500 directories (X.500 is a ITU-T
recommendation, and was adopted by ISO, too). LDAP was first defined
in RFC 1487, a lot of other RFCs have amended, updated and extended
it.

  PMMail supports LDAP, as it supports vCards, another RFC
standardized form for passing along directory information, and I see
this as one of the strong points of PMMail, although it still lacks
somewhat in this area. Leo Pedone has pointed out one of the missing
links.

  LDAP would be the ideal way to access a central directory for an
organisation or workgroup, but the actual integration in PMMail is
not yet
developed to the point one could consider it as seamless.

  Missing is also support for LDIF, the "LDAP Data Interchange
Format" (RFC 2849) as a format for address book import and export
(but this could be done also by an external utility program, which I
might write, when I have more time).

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main