[pmmail-list] spamguard update (was Using Java)

Cary Renquist pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 04 Jul 2002 21:03:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 04 Jul 2002 16:44:43 -0700 (PDT), Cary Renquist wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 20:32:41 -0700 (PDT), Cary Renquist wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:14:47 -0500 (CDT), Maynard Riley wrote:
>>
>>>I came across a link to a java program for email filtering;
>>>http://home.swipnet.se/henriks/bin/spamguard.zip
>>>but cannot get it to work with either Java118 or Java13.
>>>
>>>Perhaps I just don't know how to do it, or perhaps this is an example
>>>of how java is NOT fully cross-platform, or perhaps somethign else.
>>
>>It keeps crashing on me...
>>The setup part worked fine -- it created its setup files in my java131/jre
>>directory.  However, all other attempts to get it running result the program
>>crashing.
>
>I just tried the latest version of spamguard, 0.84 4Jul02 version...
>It is working better than the previous version.
>It actually runs and collects mail from my account, however, when I
>connect to spamguard's pop server the messages I get are completely
>mangled (actually, they are just zero length files).  No big loss -- they
>were just test messages.
>
>So, perhaps a few more versions down the road it will be a usable tool.

Ok, I have a serious problem -- I keep on talking to myself... ;-)

It looks like the problem is actually with PMmail -- I just tried mozilla
and it retrieved the message just fine.

There is something going wrong with PMmail getting the message from spamguard.

As I understand it, spamguard just sits between the email app and the server.  It
polls the server periodically looking for new messages, when it sees a new message
it downloads the header and performs a check to see if it is spam (I'm not exactly
sure what it does when it suspects spam), the email client just contacts spamguard
like it would any other pop3 server, spamguard then passes the messages to the email
client.

I have included an edited annotated log at the end of this email.
The only big difference that I see is that Mozilla sends a "XSENDER"
command and PMmail does not.

Cary

**************************************
*  Unsuccessful PMmail download      *
*  (set not to delete message)       *
**************************************

Accepting incoming connection from: localhost
Command recieved: USER spamguard
Command recieved: PASS spamguard
Command recieved: STAT
Command recieved: TOP 1 1
ServerBridge connected
Transfer in progress: #Resetting time-out counter at: 4 (max=6000)
##... done!
Resetting time-out counter at: 2 (max=6000)
Command recieved: LIST 1
Command recieved: RETR 1
Resetting time-out counter at: 1 (max=6000)
Transfer in progress: ###Resetting time-out counter at: 1 (max=6000)
#... done!
Resetting time-out counter at: 2 (max=6000)
Command recieved: TOP 1 1
Transfer in progress: #Resetting time-out counter at: 2 (max=6000)
##... done!
Resetting time-out counter at: 1 (max=6000)
Command recieved: QUIT
ServerBridge disconnected

**************************************
**   PMmail "Quick Interrigation"   **
**************************************

Accepting incoming connection from: localhost
Command recieved: USER crenquis
Command recieved: PASS spamguard
Command recieved: STAT
Command recieved: LIST 1
Command recieved: RETR 1
ServerBridge connected
Transfer in progress: ##Resetting time-out counter at: 3 (max=6000)
Resetting time-out counter at: 1 (max=6000)
##... done!
Resetting time-out counter at: 3 (max=6000)
Command recieved: DELE 1
Command recieved: QUIT
ServerBridge disconnected

**************************************
*  Spamguard Polling server          *
**************************************

+OK POP-3 mta4.snfc21.pbi.net - Sun Internet Mail Server - sims.3.5.2000.03.23.18.03.p10 at Thu, 4 Jul 2002 20:28:05 -0700
(PDT)
+OK User name accepted, password please
+OK Mailbox open, 1 messages
+OK Mailbox scan listing follows
1 1784
.
+OK BYE
Server count: 1 Session count: 0

**************************************
*  Successful Mozilla mail session   *
**************************************

Accepting incoming connection from: localhost
Command recieved: USER crenquis
Command recieved: PASS spamguard
Command recieved: STAT
Command recieved: LIST
Command recieved: TOP 1 1
ServerBridge connected
Transfer in progress: #Resetting time-out counter at: 5 (max=6000)
##... done!
Resetting time-out counter at: 2 (max=6000)
Command recieved: XSENDER 1
Command recieved: RETR 1