[pmmail-list] Spell Checker Problem

Ralph Cohen pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:55:08 -0400

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:51:24 -0400, PMMail 2000 Support wrote:

>In the course of moving files across drives and the LAN, are there any
>files with a Read Only attribute? Most all of PMMail's files should NOT
>have this attribute and can cause problems when/if PMMail attempts to
>execute/write to the files.
>
>When uninstalling/reinstalling, are you deleting all files except for
>your message and address book files? You may have to delete all of the
>dictonary files, except for user.dic before reinstalling, and always
>make sure that the executable has been deleted before reinstalling, or
>at least verify that you have the latest version once you complete
>installation through the Help->About menu.
>
>Let me know if this does not help resolve the problem.

Hi Brandon,

The only files I moved across the LAN to the new system were the
account files and none of them are set to read-only.  I also just
checked the other PMMail directories and there are no read-only files
there, either.

I also created a new installation that did not reference any of my old
account files but the result was still the same.  The only other thing
that I can add is that if I close the  New Message window while it is
being spell checked - without stopping the spell checker - I get the
following Application Error for PMMailw.exe that that closes the
program:

The instruction at "0x00440de5" referenced memory at "0x0000006c". The
memory could not be "read".

If I stop the spell checker, it takes a while but then it stops without
any error.  Also, while spell checking, the progress will generally go
in steps from 19% to 29% to 39%, etc.  Finally, this system has 1GB RAM
and uses an Athlon 1800+ CPU running Win2k SP2.

Thanks,

Ralph