[pmmail-list] OS/2 PMMail issues

Frank Winkler @home pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 12:17:36 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002 02:06:34 -0800 (PST), Steve Wendt wrote:

 >>Where did you hear this?
 >
 >Peter is paid to work on Java stuff for the web.  All work done on PMView and
 >PMMail is on his own time.  Hopefully, he is getting money from sales...

Please allow one question which has been running through my mind for some time
now when following the discussion about the common code base. Apparently,
PMView/2 is still under development (?) and is as application born on the OS/2
platform being ported to Billy-OS afterwards. Is it right that with v2 Peter
introduced a portable code which is easy to maintain for both worlds?
PMMail also has an OS/2 cradle and was ported very mch later. If the code is
now being rewritten anyway, why can't it be made portable in the same manner as
PMView is? And from my point of view, it's much more difficult to write an
OS-independent code for an application like PMView (which makes heavy use of
system-specific calls and graphic libraries) that it is for a standard
application like an email client (which mostly implements standard protocols).
So I have some difficulties in understanding the real problem ...

Regards

Frank Winkler                                                frank@consol.de
ConSol GmbH
Franziskanerstr. 38                                   Voice +49 89 45841.275
81669 Munich - Germany                                  Fax +49 89 45841.189