[pmmail-list] 5 minutes to open address book!

Andrew Webber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 01 May 2002 16:29:36 -0400

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:59:26 -0400, John Swartzentruber wrote:

>When things are really slow, pull up the Task Manager
>(Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and look at your processes. You might
>want to sort on CPU or memory.  Maybe eventually a
>pattern will form. Or maybe you'll see that PMMail
>is taking up all of the CPU time and that is the
>problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have now looked more carefully at
Task Manager and have come to some conclusions:

1. It's not disk access, because (a) I've got the cover off and can
heard disk activity; (b) this reply took 13 minutes to open, during
that time I was able to open IE, surf, close it, open a WP
document, edit it, save, print, and exit.  Meanwhile PMMail was
sitting there.

2. The process that takes most CPU (>90%, usually >95%) while this
happens is "System Idle Process".  Even PMMailw.exe takes maybe
2-3%.

3. What _IS_ happening is Memory Usage is jumping.  I exited
PMMail.  Started it up and its MemUsage settled at 130K (another
time it was 87K).  Clicked on reply to your message and after
bouncing around for 13 minutes, Memory Usage ended up at 266K.  If
I click "reply" to another email, it will climb again.  (In the
case where it settled at 87K, first "reply" drove it to 228K,
second reply ended up at 251K after going past 300K while frozen).

Could this be a DLL problem?  Something else?

It's occurred to me that I installed a replacement Sound Blaster
card a few days ago (Creative SB128).  It was a direct replacement
for my old one (which is why I didn't think of it, I guess) but I
installed the new drivers and apps that came with it.  Could that
be causing the problem?  Would uninstalling the SB stuff fix it, do
you think?

(Oh, I also deleted a LOT of old emails from mailing lists today.
Didn't solve the problem but it made me happy to do so. :)

Thanks!

andrew [awebber@wwwebbers.com]
------
If my timestamp is off by an hour, it's not my fault.
for PGP public key, send email with "send public key" as subject
Aspartame free since 2002-04-08
weather: www.cnn.com/WEATHER/ce/Ontario/OttawaYOW.html
Photo album at www.wwwebbers.com
ICQ: wwwebber    Yahoo: andrew0534    eBay: andrew1883