[pmmail-list] 5 minutes to open address book!

J Seder pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 01 May 2002 19:56:20 -0700

This probably doesn't explain your problem, but...

If I hit Alt-V (Window / "View Full Message") while examining a message
with a large attachment, my computer appears to freeze, almost.  The
PMMail application stops responding to system messages.  Other
applications respond erratically.  I can generally close PMMail (losing
any open messages) and restart it, and the system returns to good
performance.  Sometimes the systems "comes back" after rendering the
message - this depends on the message size.  But I just tried it with a
900K attachment and had to shut down PMMail.

I am sure someone will tell me this is user error and furthermore that
it is improper to point out issues like this.  Alas, it's hard for
someone of my limited abilities to remember to refer back to the
message list and check message size as I decide whether to hit Ctrl-V
or Alt-V.  I'm running 2.20.2475 on Windows 2000 SP2.  My machine is a
1GHz Pentium III with 512MB DRAM and 6GB free on my C: drive.

It seems to me that it should be possible to just render the portion of
the file that will fit into the visible window...  I also imagine that
it would be nice to spin off the rendering code as a  thread and not
block the whole PMMail process.