[pmmail-list] FIXED! [was Re: 5 minutes to open address book!]

Andrew Webber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 04 May 2002 15:26:02 -0400

On Sat, 04 May 2002 16:07:42 -0300, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

>On Sat, 04 May 2002 14:14:46 -0400, Andrew Webber wrote:
>
>>Can anyone suggest how the Addr.db got screwed up?  If it were in
>>there 10 times maybe it was something I did, but NOT 131,072
>>times!! :(
>
>Oh no, I think this is obviously user error. It's clear that you
>entered the name all 131,000 times yourself. :-)
>
>(just kidding, of course)

It would be an interesting experiment (not one for me, though) to
set it up with the address cloned a couple of times (manually, with
TextPad say) and see if PMMail doesn't maybe replicate each time.
131072 isn't a power of 2, of course, but it's close.

If the foregoing doesn't make sense, let me try again.  Say the
blank (line+alias) gets in there somehow.  Then every time I do
something that accesses the Addr.db (opening it, looking up an
alias, creating a message?), it replicates.  That would explain why
it gets slower and slower, every time it does this it doubles
what's there?

Not sure I'd want to test this myself, having just recovered, but
could it be?

>next time someone says PMMail has slowed down, I'll tell them
>to check the address book. Thanks!

If I don't tell them first!! :)

andrew [awebber@wwwebbers.com]
------
If my timestamp is off by an hour, it's not my fault.
for PGP public key, send email with "send public key" as subject
Aspartame free since 2002-04-08
weather: www.cnn.com/WEATHER/ce/Ontario/OttawaYOW.html
Photo album at www.wwwebbers.com
ICQ: wwwebber    Yahoo: andrew0534    eBay: andrew1883