[pmmail-list] HTML mail again (was: PMMail 2000 Update)

Dave Hathaway pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 09:39:14 -0700 (PDT)

I've read and re-read this xavier's message several times, because it
covers a couple important points.  I was tempted not to reply, but
when I open my mailer several times just to re-read it, that tells me
something. :)

First, my biggest problem with HTML mail is that it is mis-used so
often by senders.  Some have no taste and send fugly emails, thinking
they are being clever.  Some are sneaky SOBs who use HTML mail to
track me.  If I could avoid those mis-uses, I could live with the
huge bloating that HTML creates.

xavier's point about turning off external linking is a good one.  If
I could turn that off, most of my issues with HTML would be resolved.
 I admit I like being able to bold and italicize my points in
corporate workgroup settings.  I like to be able to create inline
tables.  I like bullet lists.  If IMG tags were ignored (except as
placeholders if they use height and width attributes), HTML mail
would be "nice."  And oh yeah, no java or activex support.  Ever.

Secondly, I take issue with xavier's claim that people outside this
list don't complain about HTML mail.  I think this list merely
represents more knowledgable people than average.  It'd be
interesting to know the average "internet age" of the listmembers
(me, since 1990).  I think people become more worried about the
security aspects of email the longer they are on line.

My coworkers were warned against HTML mail because when we got
Outcrook they went wild.  File sizes exploded as images were
included, etc.  Even my lame IT department is worried about HTML
mail, albeit for many wrong reasons.

Third, I don't know about y'all, but I am getting a ton of these
stupid 120K HTML virus messages.  I mean, one account gets a dozen or
more of these every day.  I'm getting these because the popularity of
HTML mail has made it possible.

Finally, I am now back to using Yahoo's online mail since it is no
longer free to use POP access.  I am sorely tempted to pay for POP
access again, because I like the security I have against HTML bombs
the current PMMail provides.  If PMMail becomes like Outsnook, I'll
likely stop using it.  If support is more limited, I'll be satisfied.

Dave