[pmmail-list] Spam -- your definition

Ann Knight pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 08:43:55 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 30 May 2002 11:00:24 -0300, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

>Some people say any unsolicited *commercial* email is "spam". OK,
>that seems easier to buy, but then why the furious response to these
>emails? Unsolicited commercial contact has been around in society for
>at least hundreds of years. People come to your door or call you on
>the phone and ask if you'll buy their products. They send you flyers
>in the mail or through other direct delivery methods, etc. Sure we
>don't love it, but most of us don't attempt to have those
>callers/mailers arrested and/or their businesses shut down because of
>it.

 UCE/UBE (my definition of "spam") is theft. Telemarketers don't call me collect, and junk mail
doesn't come to my door postage due. The cost of spam (estimated at US$8 billion per year) is
paid by me and every other end user on the Internet, whether we like it or not. I think you should
read the Net Abuse FAQs pertaining to email, you can start at http://www.spamfaq.net/

--
 Thanks,
Ann