[pmmail-list] Spam -- your definition

PMMail OS/2 Support pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 12:09:21 -0300

On Thu, 30 May 2002 09:50:43 -0500, Oberon wrote:

>No, but they call on the phone you pay to have in your home.  This analogy is
>closer to what happens with spam in most cases than your analogy.  Many of us
>don't pay by the piece for our e-mail, it's a flat subscription rate, same as
>your home phone line.  To that end, I tell telemarketers that I will listen
>to their pitch when I receive a contribution toward my phone bill.

This seems rational but I believe that Ann was implying that the cost
of transferring spam through the Internet is born by businesses, who
then pass on the costs to us in our monthly subscriptions.

However, again, this is analagous to the phone system. Daily business
phone calls increase the load on the phone network and the phone
companies pass these costs on to all users -- businesses and home
users alike. So it would seem again that we are applying a double
standard to commercial advertising by email that does not exist in
other similar media.

--
Trevor Smith
PMMail/2 Technical Support