[pmmail-list] Spam -- your definition

John Swartzentruber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 11:51:36 -0400

On Thu, 30 May 2002 12:14:42 -0300, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

>Let's not kid ourselves, we have ALL been complaining about junk mail
>flyers and "we'll shampoo every rug in your house for $49.95!" phone
>calls since before time began. But we never got irritated enough to
>make it stop because it was only once a day or so.

Huh? You tell phone solicitors to add your name to the do not call
list. After that if they call you, they are breaking the law (in at
least some US states, maybe all), and you can take them to small claims
court. Where do you get the idea that we never got irritated enough to
make it stop? I now get maybe one unsolicited telephone call every
month or so.

Most laws aren't trying to treat email spam differently, they are
trying to treat it the same.

I think that any unsolicited bulk email is spam. Eventually, there will
be legal spam and illegal spam. Even if it is legal, it will still be
spam, just as legal junk mail is still junk.

I also think this is way off topic, regardless of who started it.