[pmmail-list] Spam -- your definition

PMMail OS/2 Support pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 13:06:49 -0300

On Thu, 30 May 2002 11:51:36 -0400, John Swartzentruber wrote:

>Huh? You tell phone solicitors to add your name to the do not call
>list. After that if they call you, they are breaking the law (in at
>least some US states, maybe all), and you can take them to small claims

I live in Canada. I don't know if similar laws exist here. Maybe but
laws like that are only useful to those who know about them. :-) I do
recall hearing about some law (up here) that disallows telemarketers
to call from blocked phone numbers and/or names (can't remember the
details), which seems VERY good to me and takes us back to the email
"spam" issue (they should also be disallowed from hiding their
identity).

>court. Where do you get the idea that we never got irritated enough to
>make it stop? I now get maybe one unsolicited telephone call every

Based on the fact that it hasn't stopped. At least not here. I get
more calls than you do.

>I think that any unsolicited bulk email is spam. Eventually, there will
>be legal spam and illegal spam. Even if it is legal, it will still be
>spam, just as legal junk mail is still junk.

Good point.

>I also think this is way off topic, regardless of who started it.

But is it "spam"? :-)

Sorry, you're right, I'm abusing this list with a fair amount of
impunity, simply for my own edification. I was pretending to myself
that it was somewhat relevant in the "customer research" mode of
finding out what you thought with some vague idea that it might be
useful for future product enhancements, but that's a crock. I was
just interested.

--
Trevor Smith
PMMail/2 Technical Support