[pmmail-list] Spam -- your definition

PMMail OS/2 Support pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 13:00:44 -0300

On Thu, 30 May 2002 16:41:16 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

>If you believe that Trevor, I think you haven't noticed that 100% of
>spam tries to avoid making itself identifiable in terms of origin, and
>every ISP has an AUP forbidding the sending of UBE/UCE.

I would  say slightly less than 100% but yes, I see your point.

>No, although I'd like to see abusers hobbled, what I really want to see
>is the acceptance that if someone says "I don't want any unsolicited
>*commercial* mail" then they don't get any, and it should be actionable

I agree, that is a great idea. There should be a national (because we
can't really make international laws) registry of "don't bug me"
addresses. It should be illegal to send unsolicited commercial email
to one of them without checking the registry first.

Of course, this is another cost that we will all bear.

>with low barriers to litigation in the event of serious abuse. Not

Good point on low barriers of litigation. I'd say make it like a
parking offense. You did it, here's your ticket. Pay it or show up in
court (where you'll end up paying it anyway). No civilian
intervention needed.

I'm not sure if we'll be better off because a large avenue of
advertising will probably disappear if the system worked, but at
least we would be making our own decision to remain un-advertised-to.

--
Trevor Smith
PMMail/2 Technical Support