[pmmail-list] Spam -- your definition

Willms-EDV Technik pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 11:38:34 +0200 (MES)

On Thu, 30 May 2002 16:41:16 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

> No, although I'd like to see abusers hobbled, what I really want to see
> is the acceptance that if someone says "I don't want any unsolicited
> *commercial* mail" then they don't get any, and it should be actionable
> with low barriers to litigation in the event of serious abuse.

  Here comes the big difference between postal mail and electronic one -- on
my mailbox at the door I have a sticker telling everybody out there that I do
not want any advertisement flyers and free papers, and this is being
respected.

  For eMail this could be done only with a central directory of all eMail
addresses, as somebody other already had suggested, but I don't like the idea
for privacy reasons.

  When I get unsolicited paper mail addressed to me, I get it sent back to the
sender for refusal of accepting the delivery, which will cost the sender some
money. This works effectively to keep my address out of those address lists.

  But it does not work out this way -- sending back a spam mail does not
really hurt the spammer.

Yours,
Lüko Willms