[pmmail-list] HTML mail again (was: PMMail 2000 Update)

David M. Nelson pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 09:29:06 -0700

On Thu, 30 May 2002 10:02:05 -0500, Wendell Brown wrote:

>I regularly get Word documents from one of the guys I deal with that
>comes in as a WINMAIL.DAT file.  He claims that he simply attaches the
>documents to his outgoing message and that's what comes out the other
>end.  He is a techie and he can't figure out how to fix it other than
>to zip the file (zipped files come through ok as mime).
>
>It sends the following:

>The attachment is:

That is what happens when the client and/or server is configured to
send e-mail in Microsoft's Rich Text Format, an even worse horror
inflicted upon mankind than HTML mail, if that can be believed.

>From the Netscape help files (the first page that came up on a MS-TNEF
search):

"For communicating with users of other clients, Exchange contains an
option to suppress sending rich text information when mailing them. You
may want to contact the person who sends these attachments, and ask
them to turn these off for messages sent to you. To do this, they need
to double-click on your address and uncheck the box labelled 'Send to
this recipient in Microsoft rich text format.' "

David M. Nelson