[pmmail-list] Spam -- your definition

Paul Hodges pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 10:26:40 +0100

On Thu, 30 May 2002 17:51:06 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

>  Most of what I've seen purports to be from them, but actually isn't.

It appears to be normal, in Europe at least, for a phone company in
an area that you are visiting to send a welcome message (and as the
peering arrangements usually mean that you can connect to several
foreign companies, even though you can only use one network at home,
you may get several).  These messages often advertise their own
tourist info services as well, but are not particularly intrusive.

I have also had my home provider send messages advertising a new
facility of theirs, but never (yet) any completely third-party
messages.

Paul Hodges
QBS Software Ltd