[pmmail-list] what do I do about this on going problem?

Steve Barber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 03 Nov 2002 12:38:04 -0500

On Sun, 03 Nov 2002 05:49:41 -0800, Marty Rimpau wrote:

>Hello, I have been having a continual problem with pm mail, and don't
>know if it is Norton 2001 causing this, or not

Marty,  I've had the same problem and investigated through PMMail,
ISP and Norton.

I believe it's Norton AV ... I think they also believe it, now, but I
don't know what, if anything, they are doing about it.  I had the
problem also with 2002 and it's still happening with 2003, so don't
expect that to solve your problem.

Here's what I've done to lessen the problem:

1) If your ISP will filter spam into a non-downloadable folder
(attglobal.net does this for me) then do that.  You'll have to go
on-line to the web mail access (attglobal provides that, too for a
small fee) and dump that folder occasionally, but since most of the
messages seeming to trigger the problem are spam, the problem is much
more rare for me now, since the spam filter stops downloading most
spam.  I've always been able to trace the problem to individual
messages.  If your ISP doesn't provide spam filtering, then you are
out of luck.

2) Turn off email scanning per Norton's instructions (below) ... I'm
not sure exactly what that does, but their instructions say that it
doesn't compromise the security provided by the AV program.  I'm not
convinced that this actually improves things ... it does stop the
"Server Broke Connection", but results in a PMMail crash.

3) If you still get occasional "Server Broke Connections", you'll
have to go to your web access for mail (PMMail's Remote option will
also get "Server Broke Connections" or crashes) and delete  messages
(probably spam, again) that look suspicious ... that has always
cleared the problem for me.

4) Keep the pressure on Norton ... it would appear that it's their
problem (I don't think it's PMMail, since I also get the same problem
if I use Outlook to d/l).

Anyway ... here's the reply I finally got from Norton after I got
them past the point of not believing anything I said in my post and
having some neophyte give me trivial, ineffective replies.

Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.

I understand from your message that you are getting the error message
"Server Broke Connection" when you try to download email in your
Norton AntiVirus 2003 (NAV 2003) software.

Symantec would like to apologize for any inconvenience or loss of
productivity this issue has caused you. This issue has been reported
to Symantec Development, but currently we have not been able
reproduce
this issue.

If you would like to track any progress on this issue, you can search
for this error in the Symantec Online Knowledge Base for any new
information or updates.

As a workaround, please disable email scanning by referring to the
document provided in the link below:

Title: 'How to enable or disable email scanning in Norton AntiVirus
2002 and 2003'
Document ID: 2001082921552806
> Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/support/nav.nsf/docid/2001082921552806?Open&src=w

Disabling email scanning does not leave you unprotected against
viruses that are distributed as email attachments. NAV Auto-Protect
will scan any incoming files, including email, as they are saved to
your hard drive. Email scanning is just another layer on top of this.

End of Symantec reply
Steve Barber
104 Sylvan Grove
Cary, NC 27511