[pmmail-list] response from support at mind spring

Simon Bowring pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 10:31:35 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 04 Nov 2002 01:03:46 -0800, Marty Rimpau wrote:

>I want anti-virus protection....

I haven't followed this thread in much detail, but provided
you have your Dr Sols "on-access" scanner enabled (or whatever
DrSols call it), you will be protected from viruses!

PMMail stores emails in "raw" text format with any attachment
(i.e. potential viruses) mime-encoded (e.g. as base64 text or
whatever).  In this state any virus cannot infect your machine,
you need to extract/run it. If you were to try to extract an
attachment containing a virus, the on-access scanner will kick
in and detect it; it won't allow the viral file to be created
(let alone run).

All our users here rely on (Sophos') on-access scanning, to remain
virus-free - we do not scan email, because we currently see no
requirement!

If you are running outlook or outlook express, there is a stronger
case to be made for running an email scanner, because these products
can be persuaded to run (e.g.) code in html emails - however PMMail
will *not* do this.

Bottom line is that the combination of PMMail + any decent on-access
virus scanner (obviously with up-to-date virus defs) should give
sufficient protection for all but the most paranoid users.

Simon