[pmmail-list] 3rd attempt: How to set the subject of a canned reply?

Carl Gehr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:11:46 -0500 (EST)

I have no ideas on the technique that you seek, but let me add some
rationale for what I understand you to say is happening...

It seems that *YOU* want to change what *I* put in the original
message's subject line.  I suggest that, while someone may give you a
way to do it, I consider it an undesirable thing that you are trying to
do.

Why?  Simple!  If, as the author of the original message, I decide to
use the Subject that *I* wrote to put the original message away, and
YOU decided to CHANGE what *I* wrote, you make it difficult for me to
relate your response to my message.

Now, maybe you don't care.  But, as the original author, I could also
take the position that you can put whatever you like in your response
to my message.  But I do not necessarily want you to be free to change
what I wrote.

And, as a matter of fact, why do you even care what was in the original
subject line?  You say you can set the subject to whatever you like
when you respond.  To my way of thinking, that is all you are entitled
to do.

Just one person's opinion.  Worth what it cost you.  I guess it is
possible that you have not received any responses to your original
request because others share my view, but did not take the time to
express it.

Carl