[pmmail-list] Re: HTML formatting in PMMail (Netiquette for sure now)

Simon Bowring pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:10:45 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 05:51:25 -0800 (PST), Dave Hathaway wrote:

>Yes, I have been known to top-post.  This is frequently the case when
>I am on an HTML-infested list where the norm is to quote EVERY
>previous quote in its entirety.  I top-post (as do most others on
>that list) because otherwise you would have to scroll down endless
>pages of broken HTML to reach actual content.  I am not kidding that
>they have multiple 64K digests per day, with only 20 or so messages
>per digest.

The benefits of this being? [I don't need to list the disadvantages do I?)

>I think the point of nettiquette is similar to ettiquette: you follow
>the social norms for the current surroundings.

I agree - within reason. However the example you cite above sounds
like it is as a result of the memebers ignorance and not a matter of
agreed "policy", but I could be wrong! e.g. If they'd read netiquette
guidelines before using the internt, the users may behave more
sensibly!

If using "normal etiquette", you met a clique of people who considered
it normal to reverse sentences or take money out of your pocket each
time they spoke to you, or otherwise make life/communication difficult,
you might try to persuade them of the error of their ways!

>(off topic: now that I again have a POP access account, how do I
>change my list address to use that account instead of Yahoo?)
I'd subscribe on the new address and then unsubscribe on the old!

Simon