[pmmail-list] problem with pm mail 6.60 and Norton

Steve Barber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 23:40:56 -0400

On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 18:13:13 -0400, PMMail 2000 Support wrote:

> I think Marty stated that he was receiving the 'server
>broke connection' error. Well, in most cases, if you are using a virus
>scanner to fetch mail (let's say NAV 2002), NAV is intercepting the
>incoming messages and acting as your server. I am really curious though
>if NAV is causing the ISP to time out, or if NAV itself is breaking the
>connection for some reason.

I'm more than curious ... I'm going NUTS.  If I can isolate the bad
message to one of a couple that I'm sure aren't viruses, then I'll
try your disable NAV suggestion.

I've been running NAV 2002 and pmmail for as long as each has been
available, but never had the problem until about a month ago.  So, I
would infer that it's something that changed ... either the server
(attglobal.net, in my case) or NAV is not managing the connection
correctly now, but used to before.  It's also possible that SPAM has
stumbled onto some new and nasty constructs.  If it's NAV, it would
appear that it would have to be something that's changed recently,
like a new definition or a program fix they downloaded is causing
their end of the server connection to timeout on certain content
likely to be found in SPAM (like bodacious html).

I get the same "server broke connection" message ... no matter
whether I use PMMail, PMMail remote, or Outlook, so I don't think
it's likely to be the email client.

I may get as many as 100 SPAM messages a day (most caught by
attglobal, and identified, but not deleted).  If I access my mail
several times during the day, it's possible some accesses will work
fine ... but it's unlikely I'll get through a whole day without a
"server broke connection", so I'd assume that the problem is
triggered on the average ever 100 SPAM messages or so.

Brandon, If I had a message in my inbox on the server that I
suspected might cause the problem, I could try to  bounce it to you
if you'd like ... send me the right address if you want me to do
that.

SteveB
Steve Barber
104 Sylvan Grove