[pmmail-list] Built-in Anti-Spam

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 06 Sep 2002 19:27:58 +0200 (MES)

On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 18:46:34 +0200, Norbert Schmidt wrote:

> There is an Open Anti Virus project cooking. Maybe if that could be
> integrated onto PMMail ...

   I disagree. We just need a viruschecker which can work silently (i.e.
without screen input and output) and which can give back its results in a form
which the calling program can read, then one can use the PMMail filter "P"
which means to call an external program to do something with the current mail
message.

   The result has to be put in a file which is being searched for the
"resultstring" when

     PROGRAM.<programname> = "resultstring"

   is configured as a search condition in a filter.

   From PMMail's ICSL (filter language) reference:

------ cut ---------

  The P or PROGRAM Tag:

  What this tag does is it allows you to use the return value of an externally
called   program to determin whether or not the filter criterean have been met
or not.  The tag   is used by telling the ICSL interpreter the name of the
program you want to call (as   defined below).  When the filter is run, your
program will be called and passed 2   command line parameters.

   The first is the filename (relative pathing from the PMMail   Root
directroy) of the e-mail, and the second is the file where the return value or
information should be written to.  That file passed as the second parameter
will be the   file that is searched and the search string will be compared
against.

  The program tag is the only tag that has it's own unique syntax.  The sytnax
is as   follows:

  PROGRAM<.path and filename of program>[.Flags] = "String"

  The pointy braces (< and >) must be placed around the program name.  Also,
the path   and the program name itslef cannot have any spaces in it.  This is
very important,   otherwise, the program will not be correctly run.  The only
valid evaluator for this tag   is the equals (=) sign.
  This is a very powerful tag and can make the already robust filter system
even more   robust by incorporating external programs which can manipulate and
generate   information above and beyond what PMMail can do.

   That is, when a virus checker is being calld by the P-tag, and puts
its results in a file, the contents of that file is compared with the "String"
given on the P tag, and it could be something like "VIRUS FOUND" or "CLEAN".

   Also, for server side filtering, I repeat my recommendation of SIEVE, RFC
3028.

Yours,
Lüko Willms