[pmmail-list] Feature request

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 07 Sep 2002 08:51:04 +1000

On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 13:42:04 -0400, John Swartzentruber wrote:

>I just got a request from someone on a mailing list to change my
>Reply-To to be the list's address. Obviously I can't do this, but it
>made me wonder how I was different.

The request is unreasonable. The content of a reply-to is the
responsibility of the sender, in this case the list program. See how
this list inserts a reply-to that is the list address.

Other list programs commonly send out messages with no reply-to.

How lists should present or not present this line is the subject of
religious wars from time to time on any list populated by people with
any degree of geekness.

I will not state my preference for obvious reasons other than to
observe that list managers who would like all replies to the list will
do it as this list does, those who want replies to go to the sender
will strip the line.

How MUAs handle various cases is a subject for study by those with idle
time....

Me...a skeptic?  I trust you have proof.