[pmmail-list] A couple of 2634 wish list items....

Dave Saville pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:05:40 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:37:21 +0200 (CEST), Frank Winkler @home wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 23:32:59 -0500, Jon Etkins wrote:
>
> >Indeed, I use Ctrl-Ins, Ctrl-Del and Shift-Ins exclusively, and have
> >done for years.  Makes selection and manipulation of blocks of text a
> >one-handed job, and often when I have folks looking over my shoulder
> >while I do work for them, they'll ask me what keystrokes I'm using
> >because I can select, cut, and paste, so quickly and effortlessly using
> >only that single close grouping of keys.
>
>What really sucks is the fact that there are abviously two kinds of clipboard.
>I experience situations where I copy some stuff with a "copy" menu item and
>when I want to paste it with Shift-Ins I get something different. The real
>contents have to be fetched with a "paste" menu. Don't know if this also
>"works" vice cersa.

Maybe some apps have an internal clipboard. The *real* clipboard can
hold one each of three types of data. Text, Bitmap & Metadata (Which
is GPI drawing commands).

Next time it happens open another app and paste into that using
shift-insert and ctrl-v and see what happens. Or open a clipboard
viewer and do the two different keystrokes for copy and see what
happens.

Either they have their own clipboard and/or for one combination they
are not updating the system clipboard but still have it in internal
buffers that the paste picks up somehow.

The *only* time I have ever seen this type of thing was on Sun OS
4.1.3 (aka Solaris one) When sometimes you got different results from
the cut & paste *keys* or the mouse. (For those who have never seen
one, a Sun keyboard has an extra pad of keys to the left of the main
qwerty set, amongst which are cut and paste.) But thats *nix & X
windows for you :-)

--
Regards

Dave Saville