[pmmail-list] A couple of 2634 wish list items....

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:42:19 +1000

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:27:09 -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:38:33 +1000, Rod... Whitworth wrote:
>>
>>Yeah, great ideas. Implementation sucks rocks
>>See:
>>http://www.art.net/studios/Hackers/Hopkins/Don/unix-haters/x-
>windows/disaster.html
>
>That page includes a few horror stories from 1991.  Windows was at LEAST that
>horrible in 1991.  Unexpected Application Errors, anyone?
>
>Things are much better today in BOTH camps.  A few X toolkits have won out,
>making standardization possible.   Windows didn't even HAVE that opportunity:
>there is only one widget toolkit available.

Nope. X still sucks. I can point at a lot of things that are nice and
as an IBM Linux instructor who also happens to do BSD installs for SMB
sites I know both the good and bad sides to it.

The worst bad side, apart from the resource hunger, is the total lack
of real standards in how the various window managers and desktops work.

The great thing about standards is that there are so many of them
applies to X implementations in spades.

I happen to run kde and gnome as desktops on Linux and icewm on OpenBSD
in my home office........ and I have a 486/100 with 32 MB that runs
OS/2 W4 just fine with my mailserver. You can't get it to run Linux
with X on without it swapping its little head off. I just looked at the
RSS figures for a RH7.3 with kde and quick math shows well over 100 MB
for X and kde. I stopped counting at 130....

Bloat!
But this is getting to be really OT and I'm a major offender. Back to
my cave!
R/

"Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever."  - Anonymous