[pmmail-list] A couple of 2634 wish list items....

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:01:10 -0700

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:42:19 +1000, Rod... Whitworth wrote:

>The worst bad side, apart from the resource hunger, is the total lack
>of real standards in how the various window managers and desktops work.
>
>The great thing about standards is that there are so many of them
>applies to X implementations in spades.

Yes.  You seem to imply that is a bad thing.  I disagree.  Let the user base
decide which one is best, and whatever standards it imposes will come out on
top.

>I happen to run kde and gnome as desktops on Linux and icewm on OpenBSD
>in my home office........ and I have a 486/100 with 32 MB that runs
>OS/2 W4 just fine with my mailserver. You can't get it to run Linux
>with X on without it swapping its little head off.

Not if you run a full desktop environment, no.  Windows 98 will ALSO suck on
that machine.  However, Linux with something lighter, like icewm, runs
perfectly well on a 32MB 486/100.

>I just looked at the
>RSS figures for a RH7.3 with kde and quick math shows well over 100 MB
>for X and kde. I stopped counting at 130....

The memory load for X includes the mapping of the frame buffer, which doesn't
actually consume any physical memory.  If you have a 64MB frame buffer mapped
into memory, it makes X look like a hog.

On the other hand, there is no doubt that KDE and GNOME extract a VERY high
price from a computer system.  However, those things are not X.  They are X
applications.

>But this is getting to be really OT and I'm a major offender. Back to
>my cave!

Yes, I suppose it is.  I just didn't want to let the thread die with the
"Windows good, X bad" sentiment without an opposing viewpoint.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.