[pmmail-list] PMMail error with DSL...

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:10:29 -0700

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:56:59 -0400, John Swartzentruber wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 07:43:19 -0700, J Seder wrote:
>
>>Many people have asymmetric e-mail setups, where they send mail via
>>their ISP but receive mail from their proprietary domain.  From the
>>headers of this message, you can see that I'm connected through PacBell
>>Internet (DSL) but receive e-mail through my own domain (syntel.com).
>
>Could I ask what your reasoning is for this setup? I'm just curious.
>For awhile I had the exact opposite setup (receive from my ISP, send
>through my own domain). My reasoning was that I could send my messages
>to the smtp server at 100mbps instead of 128kbps. (note, for mailing
>lists I both send and receive from my own domain)

Many ISPs are actually beginning to BLOCK any outgoing port 25 (SMTP) access to
any machines other than their own mail servers.  This is supposed to be an
spam-block technique, but in reality is mostly a pain in the rear.

I've been burned by this with a couple of data entry utilities I wrote.  I
wanted to send the data straight to my own SMTP server so I didn't have to
require any end-user configuration.

I ended up setting up a second mail server on a non-standard port number.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.