[pmmail-list] [OT] Order of names

John Angelico pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:43:26 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:02:29 -0400, jimmym@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
wrote:

>Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 17:37:15 -0500
>From: "Bill Downall" <bdownall@downallconsulting.com>
>Subject: Re: [pmmail-list] Suggestion - Entering e-mail addresses in message window
>
>On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:53:20 -0700, Bill wrote:
>
>>It was just a silly example off the top of my head; don't lose sleep
>>over it.  But yes there are some real life situations when I personally
>>want the "To:" addresses in my outbound messages to be sorted in a
>>particular order.
>
>It's not that silly. I was a systems analyst at Bank of Boston in 1982, and
>was reprimanded for sending a memo (you remember: paper, copied, and
>passed to people) to many people, and not putting the distribution list in
>order by rank. SVP's before VPs before AVPs etc. I insensitively
>alphabetized the list of names.

Sorry to be disparaging of the Bank but if such people are so paranoid
about rank, they must have lost their focus on customer service...Maybe
those people have risen through the ranks until they became the rankest??
<g>

I would suggest that it wasn't/isn't a healthy atmosphere in which to work,
and you would be better off away from it.

As Bob Townsend once said (Up The Organisation) there are many imposing
edifices which constitute monuments to diseased egos: lots of money and
energy going in, but nothing useful coming out.

He said "If I were ever again sentenced to run a bank, my first act would
be to publish 'This is the last memorandum...' and the cc. names would be
in alphabetical order"

Best regards
John Angelico
OS/2 SIG
talldad@melbpc.org.au or talldad@kepl.com.au

PMTagline v1.50 - Copyright, 1996-1997, Stephen Berg and John Angelico
... From the Department of Redundancy Dept.