[pmmail-list] Address book and LDAP (was: More on PMINews & PMMail & OS/2)

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 22:13:44 +1000

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:46:49 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:24:26 +1000, Rod... Whitworth wrote:
>
>>If PMM had a freely defined path to its address book
>It's a very straightforward rexx script (or whatever) to set-up
>a PMMail address book, there are examples out there.
>
>The file is just a series of CR LF terminated lines of 0xDE
>delimited fields. Empty fields contain a single 0xE1 char.

I have known that for years. It is not what I was talking about.
Do you know how PMM finds the address book? And why that cannot be a
net used directory?

>You can edit it with most text editors! (One of the many things
>I like about the simple approach used in PMMail, like messages
>stored in individual files - it makes 3rd party tools and rexx
>exits/filters etc very easy).

BTDT.
 It ended up costing one of my clients less to do Notes/Domino that to
pay me to write the code to synch all the address books in such a way
that any department could have an arbitrary set of books and not have
them munged by the Admin people starting a new one that outranked the
marketing crew etc etc...

These things are all a piece of cake until <you> are the bunny who has
to fix the bugs if you don't get the whole piccy up front.

Of course you can always quote BSW to do the code that implements a LAN
master AB and still lets users have a private book. I would have paid a
few hundred dollars for it last year but the prospects have departed
the scene. One to Domino, another to OutBreak and another to MSE. I
don't get any work from the latter pair any more. I don't go beating my
head against walls selling products that don't cut the mustard in the
SMB arena and at present PMM is a stand alone one-ware product.

Sadly, it will probably get there when the window has closed. God knows
I've tried to push it, even to stand alone users. I had a demo lined up
for 250 store owners in a group buying operation and somebody in TPTB
promised a bulk buy price and never delivered. Guess what they now use
that is free and virus spreading and comes with their OS?

41 years since I joined IBM and the most boring thing is watching
people repeat the mistakes of all the failures that went before.
Somebody find the accurate quote (usually badly paraphrased) of Georg
Santayana on this topic and you will know what I mean.

There are people around here begging me to choose a DVD recording
standard on the basis that whatever I choose will be the one that is
technically superior but fails to market. They will buy the other.

I picked Beta as the better VCR, OS/2 as the better OS and so on. I
also chose PMM as my email client and "sold" a bunch of colleagues on
it as well as the clients.

It would be nice to be right for once.

Rx

"Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever."  - Anonymous