[pmmail-list] Address book and LDAP (was: More on PMINews & PMMail & OS/2)

Simon Bowring pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:34:40 +0100 (BST)

>Do you know how PMM finds the address book?
It looks in tools under the dir it was run from. The nice
thing is that you can run multiple versions, or have
mutiple mail stores, address books etc etc, or have your data
on a network drive.

>And why that cannot be a net used directory?
Do you mean the directory cannot be "net shared" (it can?)
it can also exist on a remote network share I believe (not tried
myself).

>BTDT.
> It ended up costing one of my clients less to do Notes/Domino
Well, I dunno how far notes/domino has moved on, but when
another enginneer and I here tried to evaluate notes a few years
ago (no one here had *any* experinec of it before). We spent
a week just trying to get it going for the eval but gave up
before being able to do much with it!  (We're all experienced
software engineers here too, not as if we're not used to
installing and supporting a wide variety of s/w on a wide
variety of platforms). We now run our intranet on a variety
of more open systems, including 3rd party and home grown
java servlets and PHP apps etc, iall accessed using "standard"
web browsers, news and email clients (we develop for a lot of
platforms here, and so cannot easily standardise on any one
solution, with the possible exception of notes/domino).

>These things are all a piece of cake until <you> are the bunny who has
>to fix the bugs if you don't get the whole piccy up front.
Well I do know. Things are alwasy simpler in theory, and everything
always takes longer than you thought

>41 years since I joined IBM and the most boring thing is watching
>people repeat the mistakes of all the failures that went before.
:-)

>Somebody find the accurate quote (usually badly paraphrased) of Georg
>Santayana on this topic and you will know what I mean.

That's easy: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to
              repeat it"

>There are people around here begging me to choose a DVD recording
>standard on the basis that whatever I choose will be the one that is
>technically superior but fails to market. They will buy the other.
;-)

>I picked Beta as the better VCR, OS/2 as the better OS and so on. I
>also chose PMM as my email client
Ditto!

>It would be nice to be right for once.
You were/are right! It's the masses that are wrong!  I remeber in
my younger days, it was very worrying when a record we liked got
into a high position in the carts, heaven forbid if it reached #1,
it meant it must be a load a old crap like the normal top of
the charts fodder!

Anyway that's enough of that
Simon