[pmmail-list] Address book and LDAP (was: More on PMINews & PMMail & OS/2)

Wayne Dunham pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:22:01 -0400

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 22:13:44 +1000, Rod... Whitworth wrote:

>There are people around here begging me to choose a DVD recording
>standard on the basis that whatever I choose will be the one that is
>technically superior but fails to market. They will buy the other.
>
>I picked Beta as the better VCR, OS/2 as the better OS and so on. I
>also chose PMM as my email client and "sold" a bunch of colleagues on
>it as well as the clients.
>
>It would be nice to be right for once.

  I know EXACTLY what you mean Rod.  I wasn't quite old enough to join
in the Beta/Vhs wars.  Old enough to know that Beta was VASTLY superior
only to see it lose out to VHS because of superior marketing.

  I too picked OS/2 and hung on until I just couldn't any longer.  My
Windbloze startup is still Beavis & Butthead saying "Heh, heh, heh,
Windows Sux man!" and my shutdown sound is Ren and Stimpy saying "Thank
goodness it was only a dream".

  I chose Atari over Apple & Ibm, another superior product at the time
that lost out to better marketing. (Yes even Apples marketing was
better, hard to imagine I know!)  Imagine a computer that was ON when
you turned the switch ON because the OS was in a Eprom that was
replaceable when they made major changes to the OS and minor changes
were fixed with patches on the HD.  First computer with over 1 meg of
Ram for under $1000 and a user interface that was VASTLY superior to
Windbloze 3.x.

  I chose ReplayTv over TiVo.  I still have the Replay's which in my
opinion are superior to TiVo.  Hardware wise they are almost identical
but I prefer the Replay's user interface.

  I chose PmMail over the other options back when I was running OS/2.
To be honest if it weren't for PmMail and a couple other apps I would
have fully abandoned OS/2 sooner.  For a long time I double-booted.
OS/2 when I wanted to *DO* something and Windbloze when I wanted to
*PLAY* something.
  When PmMail got ported to Windbloze that was about the time I stopped
using OS/2.  That and my hardware requirements for gaming were starting
to outstrip drivers for OS/2.  I found myself compromising especially
on video cards to get OS/2 support.

  So like you I have a long history (only partially detailed here) of
picking technically superior products that always failed marketing 101.
 Sadly I've also learned to recommend crappy products only because most
people want to be one of the "sheeple" and follow the crowd.  My Mom's
on AOL (shudder) because it's something she can handle. <sigh>

  Luckily I'm only a single user so PmMail's address book limitations
and the few other little nitpicks I've got don't bother me much.  The
alternatives are FAR more distasteful.  I do wish there was an easy way
to share the address book so I could easily get updates onto my laptop
and vice-versa.

  I am greatly pleased to see the renewed vigor on getting PmMail up to
snuff by the developers here.  I really appreciate the frequent updates
on what's happening, what's been fixed, targeted for fixing, etc.

     Wayne Dunham
     waynedunham@email.com