[pmmail-list] How to stop duplicate messages

Steve Barber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 00:47:44 -0400

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 23:26:47 -0500, Larry Alkoff wrote:

>I'm willing to play with remote control but I'd feel a lot more comfortable
>with an overview of what it's all about.
>The PMMail help hasn't.
>
>Basically I have no idea of what remote control is for and what it does.

The help for remote control seems pretty clear to me ...
the user interface is a little confusing, but not horrible.

Basically remote control it allows you to view information
about the mail waiting to be downloaded from your server
... without having to download it.  While viewing the list
of messages, you can select individual messages to be
deleted (without ever downloading them), downloaded, or
left on the server for subsequent download.

You probably want to set PMMail to not automatically
download your mail when it's opened or to not download it
at regular intervals while opened, so that you don't get
into that repeated failure loop you described.

So, using remote control you can delete obvious spam,
download individual (or small groups of) messages to
eventually isolate the one causing the problem (and then
delete it).  Once the bad message is gone, then you can go
back to auto downloading if you like.

I used to have the failure you described regularly ... it
almost always was a bad SPAM message, so I could just use
Remote Control to delete all the obvious spam and the bad
message would be gone.  Recently, running a different ISP
with (apparently) a better SPAM filter, I haven't had any
problems.  Another thing that may have helped is my new
CABLE connection ... with the always on status, the mail
downloads automatically every few minutes, so I never end
up with piles of messages being downloaded at once.  So,
the problem may be more likely to occur if you regularly
end up with huge numbers of messages to be downloaded from
your ISP.

SteveB